Study Skills

Study Physics Now

With only seven weeks left until the VCE Units 3 & 4 Physics end of year exam, there is much that can be done to optimise your exam score and indeed your study score.  Given that 60% of your marks in this subject are allocated to this two and half hour exam, it is most certainly worth investing considerable study time.

Consider for a moment the number of hours you have already invested in this subject this year to date. Take into account the problem solving, note taking, practice tests, Edrolo videos and written summaries.  All this has been for only 40% of your allocated marks. So my question to you is what are you prepared to further invest for the remaining 60% of your grades?

Mathematical logic would suggest that all the work you have done so far this year needs to be done again, plus 50% more (60 = 40 x 1.5, or 150%). If you are to get anywhere near this amount of study completed prior to the Nov 11th Physics exam, then you must have already started your exam preparation.

There is no magic solution to success in this subject. However, there is a tried and proven relationship that guarantees success.

Exam Success is proportional to Practice Exams Completed

So focus and take note of the following recommendations:

  1. Make an A4 summary for each of the four Areas of Study & the one Detailed Study (include definitions, diagrams, equations and sample problems)
  2. Condense this summary electronically to two double sided A4 pages (an electronic version is far superior as it can be modified throughout the your study program)
  3. Complete a practice exam in VCAA exam conditions (no interruptions, no noise, summary sheets and data sheets allowed and correct calculator)
  4. Mark your practice paper and take special note of any misunderstandings or mistakes (discuss any concerns with class mates and/or teacher)
  5. Review your summary notes and modify where needed.
  6. Complete another practice exam and repeat steps 3 – 5 as many times as possible

When you follow this process at least 15 times, you will practically guarantee yourself an A or better on the actual exam. It is that simple, yet that hard. Are you prepared to invest the necessary time to ensure your success? Many students in the state are doing this right now! This equates to only 2 – 3 papers per week until your exam.

Many of you will need access to exam papers. I recommend you use the following as a starting point:

  • VCAA Exam papers 2009 – 2014
  • Itute papers 2009 – 2014
  • STAV exam papers – Your school can provide access to such papers
  • NEAP exam papers – Your school can provide access to such papers

Other exam booklets can be purchased at your local Newsagents such as A+ exams, NEAP exams etc.

Your exam score is indeed in your hands at this point in time. You have control of your destiny. Success in this subject is just a decision away. A brilliant mind will not guarantee success, but hard work will.

Work hard and achieve your best possible score in Physics.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *